Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wiener Schnitzel revisited...

I had been living in Austria for more than 25 years before I tried to make Wiener Schnitzel myself. What a surprise! Not only is it very easy to do, but it tastes so much better than any Wiener Schnitzel I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The family agrees, so Wiener Schnitzel has become a favorite and regular family meal.

Nearly every restaurant in Austria offers Wiener Schnitzel. In my earlier post about Wiener Schnitzel, I mentioned using pork, but authentic Wiener Schnitzel is actually made with veal; the restaurant menu will usually indicate what type of meat will be used. It's not unusual for a restaurant to serve a Schnitzel of one piece so large that it hangs over the edges of the dinner plate!

Here are some pictures from the preparation of the latest meal. I used about 2 pounds (900 grams) of pork. Sometimes more than four eggs are required - better to start out with less and then add more if needed.

+ + + + + + + +

Prepare three large plates with flour, eggs, and bread crumbs...



Beat the eggs...



Get out a large cutting board and a mallet...



Work from the cutting board towards the stove, in this case, right to left...



Pound the meat until it's the desired thinness (remember to salt and pepper each side!)...



Coat each side with flour...



Coat each side with beaten eggs...



Coat each side with bread crumbs...




Place gently into a skillet of heated peanut oil...



Fry until deep golden brown on each side...



Don't forget the lemon!

6 comments:

Tango daddy said...

Yup thats the way I did it..

Merisi said...

True mastery!
:-)

I must admit that I like the Wiener Schnitzel at Brandl in Grinzing, Schöne Perle in the 2nd District and at Diglas so much, I hardly ever try to cook them myself.

I have also learned to love Wiener Backhendl at Brandl's (tried at other places, never as good). I always ask for potato and Vogerl salad, so yammy there!

marain said...

Thanks for the tip, Merisi - I hope I can have the chance to go to Brandl and/or Schoene Perle sometime. I love Backhendl, too!

Thanks for visiting my blog! All the best to you!

marain said...

I'm glad it worked out for you, Tango Daddy! All the best to you!

Anonymous said...

Indeed interesting article you got here. It would be great to read something more concerning such theme. Thanks for posting this info.

Anonymous said...

hey


just registered and put on my todo list


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.